Italian-style organic chicken sausages in VEGAN casing (egg free, gluten free, casein free)

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sweet mother of mercy- do you know what this IS????

This, my friends, is a sausage. Now, to most of you, you might be thinking, "yeah, so what?" Do you have any idea what kind of world has just opened up to me with this discovery??? Let me explain.

When you don't eat pork, you cannot eat sausages.  All but a VERY limited few are made in "natural hog casing"...for the more literal, that means "pig intestines". Um, gross. Not only that, but most contain wheat, and countless chemical preservatives. So sausages and I have been on hiatus since I made those discoveries several years ago. While pregnant with my son, I was ADDICTED to spicy chicken sausages and sauerkraut. But after figuring out what the sausages were made in, I gave them up. Well...years later...here I am. I'm BACK, baby, and this is only the beginning!

Here's how I did it:

Italian-style organic chicken sausages in VEGAN casing (egg free, gluten free, casein free)
Ingredients:
1lb ground organic chicken
3TB chopped fresh basil
1tsp garlic powder
7 sun dried tomatoes (sulfate-free), soaked for 5 minutes in hot water to rehydrate
1/2 large onion
3/4 TB dried rosemary
1/4 TB celery seed
1/4 TB salt
1/2 TB pepper
5 rice wraps

1- Grind basil, rehydrated sun dried tomatoes and onion in a food processor (or chop very finely).
2- Add to ground chicken in a large bowl.
3- Combine spices and sprinkle altogether over bowl contents. Mix.

Now you need a little station set up for yourself.
i- Spray a plate with a bit of oil (I have one of those Mr. Mister doodads you pump then spray- a nice alternative to the stuff in the can)
ii- Set up a large container with at least an inch of warm water- big enough to dip your rice wraps in, and
iii- You'll need one more plate to make your "sausages".

4- Soak a rice wrap for 5-10 seconds then lay it on your empty plate. Spoon 1/5 of the filling onto your wrap and form into a sausage. Roll it up while folding in the sides.
5- Spray them (and the grill) with a little oil so they don't stick. BBQ until they hit about 170 degrees.

Only thing they were missing: chilies. I omitted the spice because of the kids, but next time, I'm making two batches. :)
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy food, healthy mind, healthy me Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino