Healthier chocolate coconut macaroons (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
1 cup unsweetened coconut (shredded)
3 cups uncontaminated GF oats
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup Earth’s balance vegan margarine
1 ½ cups coconut sugar
6 TB of cocoa or carob powder
½ cup of milk of your choice (I used homemade almond milk)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut, oats and vanilla. Set aside.
- On the stove in a small pot, combine the rest of the ingredients on medium-low heat.
- Once the pot’s contents are melted, allow them to bubble on med-low heat. This might take a few minutes to reach. Resist the urge to jack the temperature as you can scorch it.
- Once the mixture has been bubbling for 2 minutes, take it off the stove and pour it over the oats/coconut/vanilla mixture. Mix well.
- Drop a spoonful in piles on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Now bring the cookie sheets someplace cool to harden.
Mine usually end up in the garage on top of the car until they harden, then you can stack them in a container. Keep them in the freezer if possible, or at least the fridge. Enjoy!