Let an ingredient be your inspiration (Summer salad recipe)

Sunday, June 20, 2010

We were at the cottage this weekend, and on the way back we stopped...yes...for french fries... :) OH HOW I LOVE POTATOES. Yes, I know...I'm working on it...

I digress. We stopped and adjacent to the chip truck was a flea market type of thing. It was quite a smattering of people's junk, with some strange fruit and veg selections (not even local- imported- in the middle of the country) and then a whole section of potted herbs. My basil plant recently had an attack from some bug so it was slowly biting the dust (it was yellowing, and just generally not inspiring me) so I bought a new one- for two bucks! Awesome!

After our "chip" lunch, I wasn't in the mood for dinner. We also bought fresh picked local strawberries at a roadside stand, so I cut up some of those and some bananas, and made a dip for the kids with hemp seeds, a little avocado, a date and a splash of maple syrup all blended up. Um, it was gross. Not gonna lie. But the kids loved it and they dipped their fruit and that was dinner.

Once they were in bed, I became hungry and thought of my lovely little basil plant. So I rooted through the almost-empty fridge and came up with the following;

Summer salad (original, I know)- 1 serving

1/2 cup fresh peas
5 stalks asparagus
1/2 tomato
1/3 orange pepper
2 TB hemp seeds
4 big basil leaves
olive oil (splash)
balsamic vinegar (ditto)
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

1- Toss fresh peas and asparagus into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process.
2- Chop up tomato into wedges, pepper into strips and tear or chop up basil. Put them into a large bowl for "tossing".
3- Add the hemp seeds, cooled peas and asparagus.
4- Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper.

The ONLY thing that was missing, was my beloved avocado. I missed it. Then it would have been sheer and utter perfection (oh, that and more basil- it just wasn't enough!!).

Enjoy!

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy food, healthy mind, healthy me Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino