Leftover turkey recipe: gluten free, dairy free enchiladas!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I SO wish I had a picture to share with you. To be honest, I thought this dinner would be a gigantic BOMB- especially with the kids- but it actually got "two thumbs up" from Mr. Pick-it-up, so I'd say that was a success! Anyways, I never took a picture because I didn't figure it'd work out, but you'll just have to use your imagination. I'm afraid I don't have a clear idea of the amount of ingredients I used either, so bare with me.

Leftover turkey makeover: GF, CF enchiladas!

Ingredients:
chopped leftover turkey (I think I used about 2 cups)
1 TB oil (coconut, grapeseed, etc.)
1/2 large sweet onion
chopped green and red peppers (we didn't have any, but I feel like that's what was missing)
1/2 TB ground cumin
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 c frozen corn
1 package (6) gluten free rice tortilla shells
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salsa or drained canned tomatoes (I used salsa for the spice-lovers, but tomatoes for the kiddies)
1 cup Daiya "cheese" (or whatever dairy-free alternative you enjoy)

Directions:
Chop the onions and peppers and sauté in a frying pan with a little oil and the cumin. When the onions are browning, add the chopped turkey and maybe another sprinkle of cumin. Add the lime juice. Stir it around, then add in the frozen corn. Stir again, then cover and remove from heat.

Next, prep your pan by putting a little salsa or drained canned tomatoes in the bottom of a glass baking dish (mine was "lasagna sized"). You just want enough to cover the glass so it won't all stick.

Dump the kidney beans in a food processor and grind until smooth. Lay out the tortillas and smear a big blob of the beans on each tortilla.

Now portion out the chicken and veggie mix into each tortilla. Tuck the sides in on the tortillas, then roll them up and place them in the glass dish in a row. Put more salsa and the Daiya on top, then cover with foil. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes covered, then remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese is bubbly and melted (mine was another 20 minutes- then the tortillas were a bit crunchy on the edges too- YUM).

And voila. Delicious. :)
Anyone have any other "leftover turkey" recipes they'd like to share?
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy food, healthy mind, healthy me Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino